Wednesday, August 20, 2008

we love talkin' food

So a huge part of my stay-at-home career has been learning my way around the kitchen. Now with the assistance from my friends Paula Deen, Ina Garten, Giada, Tyler Lawrence, Rachel Ray, etc... from the Food Network I actually cook for my family!

Honestly, I sort of promised myself that I wouldn't fry anything in the kitchen, not only because of the health issue, but because hot oil doesn't seem like something I should play with. But I was having a craving for fried chicken and I thought I'd take a run at it. Oh yes...victory was mine! I basically made up my own recipe for "Chicken fried chicken steak" and here she is:

2 chicken breasts (pounded flat)
batter:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3/4 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tbsp rosemary
salt and pepper to liking
1 egg (beaten) and a touch of milk

- In a medium saucepan preheat 1/4 inch of oil over medium temp.
- Dip chicken into egg mixture then into flour mixture.
- Place in oil for 3 minutes per side, until browned.
Serve with country gravy

I will admit that I took a picture of my creation....but it didn't turn out too pretty. I still need to practice to get into the same realm as you guys- Bridget and Naphtali. :)

So instead I took a picture of Sophie "unloading" the dishwasher while I cooked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That recipe sounds yummy! Eric said it was amazing. You are doing such a great job! Do you remember when you had a hard time using a paring knife to peel? You've come a long way, Girl! I'm very proud of you. Sophie looks hard at work doing dishes. Isn't it nice to have a helping hand around the house??
Love
Bridget

naphtali said...

YUMM! This sounds delicious. I'll have to try that out on Anthony. And "oh, Sophie"...she's such a perfect helper! I can't believe how big she's getting!