Monday, August 25, 2008

marvelous change


You always hear about how becoming a parent changes your life (obviously) but no one ever really tells you how much and in what aspects. There is absolutely no doubt that it changes for the better and while Saturday night dates or going out with friends are replaced with Saturday nights in trying out new recipes in the kitchen, the adjustments are done with surprising ease. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that, yeah I do get jealous at times of my friends or even Eric being able to grab a drink whenever they please (or to even leave the house for that matter).

But the miraculous part about your quick transition is the fact that it's studded with so many new and beautiful firsts. How can you be envious of your past life when you have actually formed all new favorite things? Favorite sound- her giggle, Favorite spot in the house- still bed, but with a sleeping baby by my side, Favorite smell- her stinky feet, Favorite moment- watching her explore, discover and learn before my own eyes.

In your "previous life" you have the freedom of spontaneity, now leaving the house entails a list of: have you bathed, eaten, napped, where's your diaper bag, stroller, snacks... But I promise all the hassle, all the change, all the sacrifices are worth it.

I'm also aware that it's not always going to be as wonderful as it is now; as she gets older and begins making her own choices it will be a little harder to see the beauty in every moment. But I think its then when you have to hold onto that love and know that they are your child. That through better or worse that bond can never be broken.

Until then, I will continue to enjoy the simple beauty of agonizing over nap times and poopy diapers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You couldn't be more right! I swear it is the bond and love of watching them grow that keeps you from killing them when they get older haha. But even through the "bad" times they are so worth it! You are a super mommy and you make it look easy!
Love Bridget